It’s been a while since I’ve done a good “Five on Friday” so I thought it was about time!
1. Tough Stuff- This past couple of weeks have been tough. First Matt got really sick. Then in about 48 hrs I sliced off the tip of my finger, got really sick and sprained my ankle. Then Matt’s grandma died. Thankfully we had just spent a great week with her in the Wisconsin Dells. Now I’ve got two sick boys and Matt’s gone to Chicago for 4 days for the funeral. I’m trying to not be too miserable or depressing… which is why the blog has just been a bit silent.
2. Growing Up- Last week my first born turned 6! We celebrated with an awesome bug party in MN (more details to come on that). Lately I just can’t get over how grown up he seems. All of the sudden it’s like he has such a deeper understanding of so much. He’s gotten so much better at just letting things go with Mase, and he’s recognizing other people’s feelings so much more. He’s also turned into a joker, telling jokes, and laughing when people joke with him. At almost every stage I feel like I love that stage even more and I don’t want them to ever change. Thankfully with every change it just gets better! Makes me think of this song. So true.
3. Adoption- We hadn’t shared any updates because we really didn’t have any updates, but we got word this week that our Dossier is FINALLY in Haiti! This is super awesome because even though we’ve been “in process” for a year now, this officially starts our process in Haiti. Our next step is that our agency and our orphanage will match our Dossier with OUR child’s Dossier for an “official match”. We’ve got an idea of the child we’ll be matched with, but until it’s “official” we’re trying to not get too attached or set ourselves up for heartbreak. Of course we’re praying this happens quickly, but knowing how Haiti works we are expecting to wait a while for this. It brings me so much joy following the Three Angels Facebook page knowing that one of these precious children is going to be our child!
4. Reading- I’m finally figuring out how to make time for reading and I’m loving it. I just finished reading “Orphan Train” and I HIGHLY recommend it. Next up on my reading list: Firefly Lane, Bread & Wine, and The Best Yes. How do I decide where to start?!?
5. Family- Lately I have become more aware of how much I really love and appreciate my family. Last weekend we were all together (minus my brother who had to work) and there’s really no one else on earth I would have chosen to spend the weekend with. There were so many highlights from the weekend: Waking up in the morning and hearing my nephew scream, “Auntie Jess” with so much joy. Snuggling with my nephew Ollie giving him “Foofers” and hearing him belly laugh over and over again. “Ladybug hunting” with my niece Collins and seeing her innocent joy. Having a HGTV marathon with my mom, sis, and sis-in-law bonding over our common love of decor. Enjoying a chocolate donut with my 93 year old grandpa, something I have such strong memories of doing since I was a little girl. I could go on and on, but recently I have just grown to really appreciate them and feel SO blessed to have such an amazing family.
So there it is, 5 things that are on my heart and mind. How about you? What books are on your reading list? Are you appreciating what a blessing your family is? I want to hear about your “5 on Friday”!