You all know the quote “Money Can’t Buy You Happiness”?? Well.. by purchasing these smart home devices we’ve made our home a happier place! So in a way… this time we sort of bought our happiness!
You’ll be happy to know that we didn’t have to pay an arm and a leg to equip our home with smart devices that we love! Since moving into this home six months ago, we decided to be intentional about outfitting it with smart home devices that would make our lives easier! Here are the devices that we own and LOVE!
- Nest Hello (Retails for $229, we purchased on sale for $199)- This is my #1 most favorite item on this list! Basically, it’s a doorbell and video camera in one, and it’s a GAME CHANGER! Now, instead of answering the door for strangers, I use the camera on my phone. When the neighbor kids come and ask to play but we’re not home, I can use the speaker to tell them that we’ll be home in 30 minutes! When I’m out and the package I’ve been waiting for arrives, I see it get delivered and I can hurry home to open it! Often I sit on the porch and wait for the school bus and my husband will hop on the app and say hello to me and the kids right there through the doorbell! Last week I discovered another advantage when I had a babysitter home with the kids, and I could see them coming and going, giving me a little piece of mind that they were doing fine!
- Nest Protect (Retails for $130, we purchased a two pack at Costco for $199)- Thankfully these haven’t ever had to come into use, but I love these smoke and carbon monoxide detectors! Each month they automatically test themselves. Also they serve as a nightlight where there is motion in a dark hallway! I also love that if they ever do go off, they will notify me through the Nest app, rather than just beeping away while our house burns to the ground.
- Nest Thermostat (Retails for $199)- My parents bought us our Nest Thermostat for Christmas and we finally just installed it last month. We shouldn’t have waited because it was SO simple to install and it is awesome. We can control our heat and AC through our phones now and it’s amazing. We have it programmed to settings that we prefer, but as we adjust it it learns our preferences! Last weekend when we went away for the day we were able to turn down the AC as we were driving home to arrive home to a cool house. It also goes into Eco mode whenever I’m away, conserving energy.
- Wireless Printer (Retails for $195)- This one is pretty basic, but I love that I can hide the printer away, and I don’t have to connect to it to print from my phone and computer. I also love that I can scan documents and access them without connecting.
- Tile Mate ($19 x2)- In case you haven’t heard of it, the tile is something you put on an object you don’t want to lose, and then if you do lose it, you use the app to locate your item. We have them on our keys and our tv remote. The best part is if you lose your phone you can push the tile on the keys or remote to find it! I use it mostly for the remote, and 99% of the time it’s in a couch cushion, but the tile beeping makes it easy to find!
- Wemo Light Switch ($39)- OK, this one ranks right up there with our doorbell. I love it SO much. I swapped out our porch light switch for the Wemo and it’s a game changer. I programmed it to turn the porch light on at sunset, and then to turn off three hours after sunset. I love coming home after it’s dark and already having the lights on. It’s also awesome to have one less thing to have to remember. I also love that when we’re on vacation we don’t have to leave the porch light on for the entire time. They also make Wemo plugs which will be awesome come Christmastime with Christmas lights!
- iLive Concierage with Alexa (retails for $59 but I purchased the rose gold on sale for $32 at Kohls)- I know I’m the LAST person to hop on the Alexa bandwagon. I’m so glad we finally did though! I found this iLive much cheaper than the Amazon products and it seems to do all the same things. I love listening to music and audiobooks on it. I also love using it as a timer, to check the time or weather, and we like to have fun with it too (she even makes fart noises)!
Grand Total= $901 (although the thermostat was a Christmas gift from my parents so actually $702)
I’m not saying you have to go out and spend $900 to create a smart home overnight, but maybe add a few of these items to your wish list? I can guarantee you’ll find happiness in some of these simple pleasures! I also wanted to make sure you knew that you don’t have to have a brand new home in order to get some of these functions! If you’ve got any other smart home devices that you love please let me know! I’m always open to adding more if it will simplify our lives!
I’ve included shoppable images below if you’d like to purchase any of these items! (Just be sure to double click on mobile devices).
To shop the rest of our home, head to the “Shop my Home” page here!
Never Miss Another Post!
Subscribe to get on the BrightGreenDoor e-mail list!