This rolling kids art desk is a simple DIY project that will provide your kids with TONS of entertainment.
Recently a friend and local blogger, Curio Design Studio redesigned a room for a local family with a very sick daughter. The entire community came together and donated, worked, and ultimately created this beautiful space. My small role in the whole project was to create a rolling art tray that would slide under the bed. **this post contains affiliate links**This is the art desk that I ended up creating. It was so simple that today I’m going to share the instructions with you on how to build a rolling art desk!
- Cut two pieces of plywood to the size you’d like (I had Lowe’s do this for me)
- Use a hole saw to cut holes the size of the cups you’d like to use.
- Cut a slit in the wood using a miter saw, being careful not to cut all the way through either end of the board.
- Assemble a paper towel holder and paint all the pieces
- Attach casters and use a nail gun to attach the side pieces
- Use a nail gun to attach top piece to side pieces
- Attach paper towel holder using screws, add another coat of paint
- Add a roll of paper, screw down two trim pieces to hold paper in place. Add cups and storage bins.
To purchase any of the items I used, just click on the images below (or double click on mobile). I couldn’t find a source for the paper roll online, but it was from the Target Dollar Spot near the entrance! I found some cups online, but the pink cups I used also came from there!
This art tray fit under the bed in this room perfectly. If your bed was lower, you could always create something similar without the shelf in the middle, or with a shallower shelf.
The day of installation, my daughter Ysa couldn’t wait to try the art tray out! My boys were also begging for me to make some for them! I may just have a few more art trays in my future!
The room turned out GORGEOUS and I was so happy that I got to be a part of this beautiful transformation. For all the details about the room makeover, head over the the Curio Design Studio Blog.Photo Credit: Samantha Collins Photography
This rolling art desk made wonderful use of the empty space under the bed. In a different post I shared how to create a rolling lego tray for under the bed! I hope that you enjoyed this post and maybe it’s inspired you to create usable storage under your children’s beds! Otherwise I hope you enjoyed seeing this gorgeous modern little girl’s room!