This modern kitchen from a retro renovation is sure to blow you away!
Today I am SO excited to share the first reveal from the renovation of my friend’s remodeled retro home. In case you haven’t been following along, here are the posts I’ve shared about this home so far: Introducing a Retro Renovation, Renovation Progress, and Kitchen Renovation Progress. Today I’m going to share their new modern kitchen! This is what the kitchen looked like when this entire process began:
Our friends worked with a local architect, Studio Rad, to come up with a design plan that would work for their family of seven. They suggested opening up the wall to the dining room, adding a long island, and converting the prior “eat-in” dining space into part of the kitchen. It was so exciting to see the walls come down and their vision come to life!
The brick wall was an original feature of the kitchen, made better by opening it up, painting it, and adding a modern cooktop and double oven!
On the one end of the kitchen, they created a large pantry and coffee bar, giving them space for appliance storage, along with some shelving for cookbooks.
Along with adding a bright wall of windows, they also added an additional sliding door in the dining room. Additional lighting was also brought in through recessed lighting and four gorgeous pendant lights. They also carried the faux beams from the other side of the house over here into the kitchen.Their new LONG island is absolutely perfect to keep their five kids out of the kitchen while mom and dad are prepping food.
This kitchen went through a dramatic transformation and it is SO much lighter, brighter, and more open! I’m so thankful their architect opened up the walls and wasn’t afraid to take some risks! Even if you can’t fully renovate your kitchen, here’s a few ideas that could modernize any kitchen:
Ideas for Modernizing Any Kitchen:
- Update Lighting
- Paint any Brick
- Add some Open Shelving
- Add a new Backsplash
- Update faucets or hardware
- Replace dated countertops
- Paint Cabinets White
Modern Kitchen Source List :
**Post contains affiliate links**
- Cabinet Paint Color: Benjamin Moore New Hope Grey
- Wall Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Grey Owl
- Brick Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Stormy Sky
- Coffee Bar Tile: Heath Ceramics Huron Blue Tile
- White Cabinet Paint: Benjamin Moore Ice Mist
- Quartz Countertops: LG Viatera “Rococco”
- Brass Chandelier: Corrigan Studio Brass Sputnik
- Ceramic Pendant Lights: Revisions Design Studio
- Brass Faucet: Delta Trinsic Faucet
- Bar Stools: Black Metal Stools
- Flooring: Wynfield Hickory Warm Sunset
Thanks so much for stopping by! Soon I’ll be back to share the rest of this retro renovation! Just in case you haven’t seen enough dramatic “before and afters” I’ll leave you with a few side by side comparisons:
October 2017 Update! To See all of the posts from this Retro Renovation head to these posts:
- Retro Renovation Before Shots
- Renovation Progress and Update
- Kitchen Renovation Update
- Modern Kitchen Reveal
- Modern Bathrooms Revealed
- Retro House Living Spaces Reveal
Never Miss Another Post!
Subscribe to get on the BrightGreenDoor e-mail list!