If you’re anything like us, as the weather gets colder we all love snuggling up for a movie night. Friday night usually rolls around and we spend forever trying to find something good. We’re always looking for a family movie, and then for a great adult show or movie afterwards. We’ve got Netflix and Amazon Prime and usually we’re looking for something free to watch! Today I’m sharing our favorite shows and movies on Netflix and Amazon! Because their selections are always changing, and not everyone has Netflix and Prime, I’m including links to purchase on Amazon as well. (Post contains affiliate links)
Family Friendly Movies
- Queen of Katwe (Netflix)
- The Case for Christ (Netflix)
- Miracle (Netflix)
- The Secretariat (Netflix)
- Peter Rabbit (Netflix)
- The Indian in the Cupboard (Prime)
- Larry Crowne (Netflix)
- Gran Torino (Netflix)
- Room (Netflix)- Although this was slightly disturbing it was so good.
- PS I Love You (Netflix)- This might just be my favorite book, and for once the movie was almost as good as the book!
- Cinderella Man (Netflix)
- Lion (Netflix)- As an adoptive parent this was a tough movie to watch, but also displayed so many truths about the adoptive world.
- The Big Sick (Prime)
- The Great Outdoors (Prime)
Favorite Shows (Series)
- Parenthood (Netflix)- Hands down my favorite drama series. It’s like it’s the predecessor to “This is Us”.
- Suits (Prime)- I loved Suits and it makes me feel like I “knew” Meghan Markle before she was a princess!
- White Collar (Netflix)- I love that this was a pretty clean show, and had a really good storyline. We were really hooked and cruised through all the seasons.
- The Americans (Prime)- This storyline is amazing, but it’s also got numerous sex scenes and quite a few gory scenes.
- Grand Designs (Netflix)- Every time I watch this show I want to build a home. So consider yourself warned!
- The Horn- (Netflix Exclusive) This series is about mountain rescues on the Matterhorn in Switzerland. Warning… it REALLY made me want to head on a ski trip to the Alps!
- Shot in the Dark (Netflix Exclusive)- This show about nighttime news chasers in LA was fairly interesting.
- Making a Murderer (Netflix Exclusive)- I know just about everyone watched this when it came out, but if you haven’t it’s pretty addicting and will leave you questioning if he’s guilty or not the entire way through.
- Mad Men (Netflix)- As much as I loved this series there were definitely some obscene parts that could have been easily left out. I especially loved all the sets, clothing, and styling! For someone who LOVES mid-century furniture it was even more entertaining.
Favorite Chick Flick Shows (for when my husband is out of town!)
- Poldark (Prime)
- The Paradise (Netflix)
- Downton Abbey (Prime)
- Call the Midwife (Netflix)
- Stay Here (Netflix exclusive)- I’ve always loved Genevieve Gorder and her show about renovating short term rentals was super entertaining.
- The Crown (Netflix Exclusive)
I hope you loved these suggestions! Next time you’re looking for a good movie or show recommendation hopefully these will be helpful!