Recently a client reached out to me to help come up with some ideas for their farmhouse living and dining room. It’s a second home which they plan to rent out as an AirBnB. Because they live in a rural town and want to have it ready by Christmas everything I chose is available online with quick shipping! Here were my suggestions to her:
Farmhouse Design Ideas:
- Painting all of the paneling white would go a long ways (color suggestion Benjamin Moore Simply White), be sure to do a first coat with Kilz primer to avoid bleedthrough. Here is a post with all the details on how I painted our paneling.
- Replacing the Ceiling Fans. If she decides not to go with fans this post includes tons of great farmhouse chandeliers. Here are a few suggestions for affordable modern ceiling fans that would look great in this space.
- Place the TV on the stair wall on a low TV stand. Here are a few suggestions for TV stands.
- Use the window walls in the living room to place a L sectional for the most seating. Ideally it would be fairly low to cover less of the windows. The pricing on this can vary drastically depending on if they want to go with leather for the most durability, or upholstery which can be much cheaper. Here are a few suggestions for sectionals.
- This is the door that everyone enters from, so I suggested that they get a coat rack and shoe storage for the space just left of the door. Here are a few of my suggestions for ones that would look nice.
- A classic farmhouse table would be great in the dining room. I wrote a post a few years back with tons of affordable farmhouse tables. Here are my suggestions for her Dining Table:
- For the dining chairs I think that they should go with some comfortable chairs for the head and foot of the table, that can be pulled into the living room for a movie night or extra seating. Also, you can’t ever go wrong with a pop of buffalo check! For the rest of the chairs I’d go with simple durable metal chairs. Here is a post I wrote rounding up many of my favorite dining chairs.
- Art will make the space feel like home. I recommend getting one large piece for the living room and another large piece for the dining room. I’d keep it to something neutral since it’s going to be an AirBNB. Here are a few art ideas:
- Once all of those key pieces are in place, it just comes down to accessories. I’d be sure to add texture and color with throw pillows and throw blankets and I always recommend adding in some greenery, even if it is faux!
- Finally, since Christmas is coming and they’d love to rent it out as a Christmas rental, I wanted to help her come up with a few ideas. I think the Christmas tree will work best on either side of the TV, depending on how much space is left with the sectional. A few simple ideas to make it festive would be a wreath and a few Christmas lights! Every year my friend Jenn hosts a holiday home tour that includes TONS of amazing farmhouse Christmas decorating ideas.
I can’t wait to see her AirBNB lisiting once it’s live! Hopefully these suggestions will help her create a warm and beautiful space to welcome guests.
Never Miss Another Post!
Subscribe to get on the BrightGreenDoor e-mail list!