Remember when we dealt with “Moldfest 2012“, well since then we’ve been busy trying to put the basement back together.
Since we were going to be replacing all the carpet I started out by painting all of the trim in the warmth of the basement, right over the old carpet. I also painted all of the window trim.
The ceiling was pretty gross complete with lots of water stains, peeling cream paint, and mismatched tiles.
So I painted the whole ceiling and the ceiling trim with a fresh coat of white paint. Significantly better huh??
The basement trim was 4″ vinyl and when I peeled it off a lot of the drywall came with it.
Which meant I had to do a layer of mud around the entire perimeter. Well worth it though because it completely smoothed out the wall.
Next up came the huge spot where we had to replace the drywall from the sewer damage. Here is the before:
I didn’t take any pictures “in-progress”, but I used my limited drywall skills to tape, mud, and sand all of the repairs myself! My drywall skills are improving and I’m going to put them to the test this week when I attempt some work upstairs!
Matt actually made it home for a little bit to help with the sanding. I had to take this picture to show him how he’d look with grey hair!
Next up came taping off the windows, ceilings, and doorways so that we could spray texture on the wall.
Thankfully our friends Shawn and Lindsey are experienced with spray texture and had all the equipment too! In one afternoon they got the mud all sprayed and “knocked down”, to give it “knockdown” texture.
One day later (with 2 days until carpet), Matt and I worked together to get the walls primed and painted. We chose the color “Everlasting” by Benjamin Moore. I love how bright and fresh it looks!
Then my dad happened to be in town for a meeting so he helped us tear out the old carpet, shop-vac the carpet pad, and carry down the heavy roll of new carpet.
In the mean time I also painted the stairwell, the landing, the trim in the landing, and the handrail. I didn’t take any pictures though so I’ll just have to share the “after”. The same goes for the electrical and register covers, which I just switched to fresh white fixtures. I would say at this point about 30% of the house has been switched to white outlets and hopefully it won’t be long until I can get the rest of the house switched over.
We’ve actually got the new carpet now, but Matt hasn’t had a chance to install trim yet, so I’m waiting to reveal the completed shots until it is truly complete! Hopefully by this Saturday!
Never Miss Another Post!
Subscribe to get on the BrightGreenDoor e-mail list!