Hey Friends! Today I’m here to share my week three update for the One Room Challenge! In Week One I shared the space that we’re turning into a reading nook. Then I shared my mood board and plans. Today I’m going to share how to DIY Ikea Built Ins! You might remember that when we started the space looked like this:
Actually when we REALLY started the space looked like this:
Way back when we built the laundry closet, I figured exactly how much space we needed to leave in the nook for two bookshelves and a built in twin mattress. I purchased two Hemnes bookshelves from Ikea, but then had to figure out how to actually build them in.
I decided to use 2×8″ lumber to build a platform for under the bookshelves. As you can see the base I built is exactly the same depth as the shelves.
I mounted these platforms firmly into position by securing them to the studs.
Then I secured a 104″ 2×8″ board across the platforms. This would serve as the base for the bed. We decided we wanted the bookshelves to come one inch from the ceiling, which means that these platforms had to be 11″ tall. This was perfect because it put them above our baseboard heater, and at a good height for the mattress.
When it came to securing the bookshelves to the wall, this overhang on the top of the bookshelf was a problem. I ended up unscrewing it and using the table saw to cut it off. This way the bookshelf could sit flush against the wall.
After that extra was cut off the top of the shelf, I raised the bookshelves up onto the platform.
Once both bookshelves were on the platform, I secured them to the studs in about six places each. I wanted to know that these will be VERY secure. As you can see we also had outlets that would be covered up by the bookshelves. We decided we are going to mount the electrical outlets somewhere in the bookcase. That way we will be able to store devices that need charging.
Once the bookshelves were secure I used an assortment of pre-primed MDF wood to trim out everything. At the bottom 5″ pieces covered the feet perfectly.
I also used MDF to trim the tops and sides of the bookshelf, giving it a custom built in look. In order to have enough space for the twin sized mattress, I spaced the bookshelf about two inches out from the window wall. A 3″ piece of MDF covered this gap perfectly. I used a 1/2″ piece of plywood as the bed base.
For the bottom and inside of the platform I used a thin plywood to encase it. Once this is caulked and painted white I think it will blend in seamlessly.
I couldn’t wait to see how this looked with the mattress on top! It worked out to be a perfect fit, and I love the way the mattress sits just barely higher than the bottom shelf.
The bookshelves cost $150 each at Ikea, and we already had the extra mattress. All of the wood came in around $100. This brought the built in project total to right around $400. I’m really happy with how much character it brings to the space!
Not only will it bring character, but also give is a place to store a TON of books! We hope that this space will serve as a great place to read together as a family at night. There’s only three weeks left until the One Room Challenge reveal! Over the next three weeks I need to paint, style shelves, hang a laundry room door, hang a light fixture, patch drywall, and a few other details! Even though this nook is small, it’s still a ton of work to finish in six weeks! Believe it or not I still haven’t even decided if I should leave the built in’s white, or paint them black! I contemplated green, but the laundry door and bed are going to be green instead. For the sake of time I’m considering sticking with white.
Thanks so much for following along with this challenge! If you’ve been intimidated by building your own built-ins, I hope this post showed you that it’s really not that difficult! Whether you’d be creating your own reading nook, or just making some bookshelves look “built in”.
Never Miss Another Post!
Subscribe to get on the BrightGreenDoor e-mail list!