This week marks one year since we moved into our Marquette House. That’s twice as long as we spent in our prior fixer upper, the Retro Ranch. When we purchased this house we needed a break. We needed a house that wasn’t a “fixer upper”. We needed a house that we could move into and not have to get straight to work on. We were burnt out and ready for a break. Ha! At least I *thought* I wanted a break. Turns out that I just don’t know how to take a break, and updating a home is somewhere deep in my blood. What I’ve enjoyed about the updates we made over the last year is that none of them turned our world upside down. None of them required living in the basement, washing dishes in the tub, or showering at the rec center. We took it easy and fixing up a home this way was MUCH more enjoyable than the last home. Although we’ve made a ton of progress, we’re far from finished with this house and we don’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon. Today I’m happy to share with you, “Our Fixer Upper One Year Later”.
Ok, so we barely did any updates out here. We did swap out the lantern sconces, but those weren’t even shown in this picture. We were lucky enough to purchase a home with beautiful landscaping, and our only work other involved adding wood chips and maintaining the stunning landscaping.
Here you can see where we replaced the lantern lights. **This post contains affiliate links** They’re actually the EXACT same lights that we installed on the porch at the retro ranch, and the auction house. It’s only because I had a leftover which meant I only had to purchase one.
In the entry we started with a fresh coat of Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray on all of the walls. Then I built and added this vintage shoe stretcher coat hook. I’ve still got plans to paint the tile floor, but for now I’m living with the terra cotta tile.
The living room underwent to most drastic changes in the entire house. The crazy part is that it was 100% done with paint! Shortly after moving in I tackled painting the oak paneling and built in shelves. Then I painted the brass fireplace surround black. Then just before Christmas I painted the brick fireplace black.
We didn’t have a budget for much in the kitchen, but we were still able to make a big impact. I started out by replacing the hardware on all of the cabinets. We also replaced the kitchen faucet. Then I made a HUGE impact by painting the tile backsplash and covering the countertops with a faux marble contact paper!
We really didn’t do a ton of work in the dining room, but I LOVE how it came together. Actually the only change we made was to replace the light fixture and hang curtains. I’ll actually be sharing a post this week about those great new dining chairs!
This powder bathroom was terribly ugly. Between the brown tile, yellow walls, and tiny mirror it just needed some easy updates. I ended up painting the tile, hanging a new mirror, painting the vanity, and installing faux shiplap behind the toilet. I shared all of these updates in this post.
The reading nook got a total overhaul. We eliminated an awkward closet and created a closet for a stackable washer and dryer up on the second floor of our house. Then I built a built in daybed using Ikea bookshelves, hung a new light fixture, and revealed it all in my One Room Challenge Reveal. This space went from being a useless oversized hallway, to one of our favorite spaces in our home.
The Master Bedroom also got some pretty major updates. In here we replaced the flooring, updated the light fixture, and updated the closet doors with “faux shiplap” doors. I revealed this space for the Spring One Room Challenge Reveal.
Although there are many rooms that we accomplished a lot in, there’s others that we have made absolutely no progress in. For example, the mudroom. It looks exactly the same as the day we bought the house. It still provides minimal function for such a large mudroom. Or there’s the master bathroom. In here I hung a towel bar and flipped the mirror vertical. I shared my moodboard with plans for this bathroom, but haven’t made any progress on getting there yet.
Another room that hadn’t been touched until recently was our daughter’s room. I’ve secretly been working on it though and am going to share it all with you this month! Our basement also hasn’t seen any love or attention and mainly is a big open space for the boys to play floor hockey in.
After writing this post though I’m encouraged by how much we accomplished in one year, especially since we really did take it slow and never went crazy to get these projects done. I have to credit you guys, my readers for giving me the opportunity to be able to do updates like these and blog about them. Often updates are cheap and simple and only cost as much as a gallon of paint. Other times it involves updating fixtures which is more expensive. If it weren’t for the many companies that have sponsored product for these projects we wouldn’t have been able to complete many of them. Even with that said, even if I had paid retail prices for everything, ALL of these updates could be done for under $10,000. I know that this has added far more than $10,000 to the value of our home. I hope that encourages you that updating a house can be affordable and helps you to see the potential in your own home. Thanks for reading!
Never Miss Another Post!
Subscribe to get on the BrightGreenDoor e-mail list!